Saturday, February 07, 2009

Dusty room

Weekend plans frustrated by snow, ( I was going to visit family in the north) I've spent most of the afternoon rearranging my study. For those of you who don't know, my "study" is literally a corner of the sitting room, growing off it like a carbuncle and separated only by a pair of long thick curtains, which if closed, darken the sitting room. This study has nine huge windows on three sides, which make the corner very bright, but also very cold in winter, and too hot in summer. So it hasn't got much wall space for books, and it's not conducive for cosy contemplation in winter.

To insulate the room slightly at the expense of light, I've moved the one large bookcase against one of the brightest windows, and put my computer where the bookcase was. I'll now be better able to watch the birds in the bird bath. I've thrown out a bin bag of old papers, and the dust has dried my nails, so they've split. Do other people's nails do that?

What I'd really like is to redo the windows so they open and close more easily and securely and less draftily, and have roller shutters, and a door that would open onto the patio so I can wander outside when study, marking, computing, or research gets too much for me. Oh! And I'd like the floor not to be carpeted, but wouldn't parquet be wonderful!

No comments: