Tuesday, December 27, 2022

An annus horribilus

Christmas has just gone and too many people are gone this year.  In 2018, I wrote Christmases past. It was a litany of deaths in the previous few years.

This year, my annus horribilus, is a litany of deaths in this one year: husband, colleague (DG), two cousins(MM), one the son of my cousin (K), the 17 year old neighbour and then our long-term lodger (PdB). 

Losing my husband shouldn't yet happen. He's younger than my father's healthy cousin. But yes, he was older than me and not quite well without being able to put your finger on what the problem was. The medics would put it down to his diabetes without double checking. He told them his diabetes was under control and it was. 

Maybe the next few years won't bring deaths. A respite.

No comments: