Thursday, September 18, 2008

Daughter's Austrian work experience

Daughter is coping with getting up early. Remember that Austrian time is an hour ahead of UK, and daughter has been sleeping in late for the last month.
As Elly was teaching this morning, and she wanted me to go into school with her, I woke up at 6.30am. Local time. Following a normal morning routine, with toast and honey for breakfast. We got to the school at about 8, and Elly was desperate to introduce me to the headmaster.
Daughter was very pleased to see a couple of the girls who'd stayed with us but then discovered that Elly expected her to teach -
rather daunting when I've never done it before, nor been given any warning. I taught some nursery rhymes, remembering what you said about learning poems and songs in foreign languages. For two of the three classes, I also explained something of the English secondary school system.
Later Elly and daughter walked to the Rathaus (town hall) to see the director and meet the people that she will be working with. Quite daunting, but so many of them speak English so well -
all better than my standard of French.
Outside, in the plaza, they met Angelica and her father. Angelica, her mother and daughter went for an ice cream. They considered that quality normal, but it far exceeded what daughter might expect in England.

We then rushed off to the opening of an art gallery. One of the exhibitionists was a friend of Elly's - everyone seems to know her here. There was a jewellery stand as well, which I really admired. Afterwards, Elly drove to a Shooting Club. Yes, as in guns. I'm told that Ferlach, where Angelica lives, is famous for making rifles. So after chatting to a few people, and some more introductions - everyone shakes hands, and there have been maybe five who haven't been bone-crunchers, so my hand feels bruised and battered now - Elly took a turn shooting this really old rifle. She had some trouble, as her hands were quivering. Next was my turn. Me, holding a gun. I was nervous to say the least. However, I did quite well, and have the card to show for it.
Your mother would have been nervous as well.

No comments: