Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Daughter's impressions of Austria

Daughter has found the first experience somewhat overwhelming.

She was bemused to find blue skies - a welcome change after the English rain. As soon as she walked through the door from Arrivals, she found Elly, dressed in her usual fishnet socks and heels, and a yellow dress. She has a small girl with her, dressed in a more demure purple,
whom I later find out to be Elly's granddaughter, Letitia. Both hold brightly coloured posters welcoming her.

Daughter emails:
After taking photos, Elly asks me if I would like to go swimming in the lake, and I, somewhat flustered, agree. We make for the car, which is rather like a Landrover, and after some persuasion from Elly, I sit in the front. We go to Elly's daughter's house, but Sylvia, Letitia's mother is not there. I am served a drink that tastes rather like elderflower cordial, and phone you on Elly's mobile.
Elly insists on showing her all compass points of Klagenfurt:
  • the lake,
  • the pier where she paddles on the steps
  • Elly's apartment,
Elly insists that her whole family speak English, so she had very few language barriers to overcome.

They went to a restaurant:
I had this sauce with seasonal mushrooms and a ball of something like stuffing. For pudding, Elly wanted an "Indiana", which is a massive amount of whipped cream, covered with chocolate sauce, and hiding these sponge biscuits. She insisted that I tried it, and then I decided to have one too.
Finally they got back to the apartment and unloaded her bag. Then went haring off to the late-opening supermarket to get some bread for breakfast.
I then asked for a bit of peace and quiet, and did some maths that Bristol uni had sent -
it's something that I know how to deal with, so is actually rather relaxing. Falling asleep was easy after all that.

No comments: