Friday, January 16, 2009

Problems working at home

I'm getting little research work written today, because I don't have a word processor to write with, nor a VPN to access the file from my folder at work. Why?

Because I've got a new motherboard, but also everything from my old hard disk has been wiped, which shouldn't be a problem because I have backups - just a chore. And I need to reinstall software.
  1. First find the disks. I scratch head but a walk to the coffee shop & a brownie help me remember where they all are
  2. Then I have to remember registration code. This could be tricky if, like for Office 2007, they sent the code in an email, which is on the wiped disk so somewhere in back up. Fortunately, I'd copied the code legibly onto the cover.
I need to reinstall:
  • XP so that gives me a browser, IE :(
  • First Class client, to get the key for Kaspersky that the OU provides
  • Kaspersky - do my virus checker and firewalls fast
  • Firefox - get a decent browser
  • Thunderbird - accounts aren't all working yet though
  • Office 2007
  • OU eTMA handler
  • Olympus camera software
  • Olympus digital recorder software
  • Inspiration
    -great for diagrams and structuring writing
  • Dragon - one of the drivers for this reorganisation because I wasn't running fast enough and didn't have enough space for its files so couldn't speak my writing onto files
  • Macromedia, like Dreamweaver
  • FTP - perhaps
  • Java and Netbeans for tutoring OU M256
  • Notepad++ for tutoring OU M150 & the M150 data disks
  • Skype - for chats and phone calls
  • VPN for work
  • Family Tree Maker
  • Winzip perhaps
  • Tablet software
  • Creative Livecam video perhaps
and turn on automatic updates for things like Microsoft service packs.

Then I have to find or recreate
  • my email stuff, like address book
  • templates that I created, like one for my tutorial plans
  • the data: photos, emails, tax records, family tree files, Dragon voice files (I'll just start again)
So if I don't email you, it's because I've mislaid your email address. Please do email me so I can have your address again.

In the meantime, it's taking hours to install Microsoft service packs, so I can't use my computer for research. I'm stuck on this tiny eeePC, with its tiddily keyboard, but at least I'm still electronically in touch, if not yet productive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could have just got a new computer, and attached the old hard drive.

Son

eLizH said...

Old hard drive was a mess and needed sorting