Saturday, June 20, 2009

What car?

Shall I take advantage of the government scrappage scheme and trade in my trusty not rusty Volvo, the only car I've ever owned? I wouldn't change it otherwise for another couple of years. If I change it now, I get a brand new one now for the cost of buying a second hand one in a couple of years, and get one that should be cheaper to run.

What shall I get? A red mini like my mother drove when I was ten years old, or the two-CV that delighted me in my teens, a yellow Beetle with character or the little green sports car someone once wanted to buy me. Years ago I was advised to get a Ford Fiesta or a Polo, but they were uninspiring cars that reflected the personality of the advisers. Now I might consider the insurance costs, particularly if I put my children on the insurance. Or how long will I need a big car to move students' stuff between university and home or flats? And do I care? Perhaps I'll get a Skoda. Perhaps I'll stick to the secure and reliable Volvo.

No comments: