Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wish list for a room

I have a large sitting room in which I'd love to have:
  • Rich royal Roman purple velvet curtains thermal lined with matching tiebacks and cushions
  • Silvery white paint work, including dado rail
  • Pale yellow walls, papered or painted
  • Parquet floor at least in the sun-lounge if not the sitting room too
  • Under-floor heating
  • Hot air heating
  • Rich large rug on floor
  • Roller blinds outside of all windows.
What have I got? Off-pink and green with a beige sofa that matches the 1930s beige tiled fireplace and a concrete floor covered with dirty green fitted carpet.

My study corner of this sitting room, summer-sun-hot freezing-cold-in-winter, has nine large windows with no curtains.
  • In winter, it's freezing.
  • In summer, it's too hot to work.
Double glazing is fine, but doesn't stop the draughts through poorly fitted windows. There's even a joint in a non opening window where the rain comes in when the wind blows against it.

I've painted one transom with emerald-green glass paint to stop the early morning spring sun dazzling. I've tried painting other transoms with green-house paint to reduce the heat but that looks horrid. On wooden poles I've hung tin-foil sheets that reflect the sun back very effectively. They also allow me to see outside in the daylight but not others to see in. However, they're not very robust, so they crumple, stick to condensation and tear. I need to get new ones, like some I saw on a door in France in 2006 and I've seen in Sicily. I also need them to be obviously reversible so that they reflect in in the winter and out in the summer.

One of the best solutions to the summer heat is growing hops outside the window. Husband has trained them along a wire at transom height, so in summer there's a thick green mass of leaves shading the room, but in winter they've died down again, and let in the light.

Now I've splashed out on new curtains, cherry red in chenille. I guess chenille is the poor man's velvet. They're lined, but not thermally lined. They're okay because they'll do the job so I'll be warmer, though I don't know what they'll do to help keep the sun out in summer, when I need cool and light to work by.

No comments: