Monday, February 01, 2010

Banking idiots

Aunty's bank has registered the Legal Power of Attorney, so wrote to me telling me I could now start telephoning banking. I rang them up. They didn't ask for aunty's details but asked for my password.
But I don't have a password yet.
The computer in front of me is asking for a password.
How can it be doing that?
Do you have an account with us?
No I closed it in 2002.
I think they haven't closed down the old telephone password. I'll have to speak to my manager.
How awful is that! What security of information is that! And doesn't it break the 1998 Data Protection Act that says data should be
  • Adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • Accurate and up to date
  • Not kept for longer than is necessary?
The bank is going to send me a new form to complete again, now they've deleted the old password. But it's horribly bad service, and it's as well that I closed the account with them years ago.

No comments: