Friday, March 27, 2009

Catholics

I see here that politicians want to reform the laws that prevent Catholics coming to the throne.

Don't do it!

The Church of England has preserved Christianity in this county in a way that the Catholic countries of Europe haven't been able to. If they change the law about royalty marrying Catholics and still being able to ascend to the throne, then they could have a Catholic as head of the Church of England, which is silly. In fact, I can't see that at the moment, they can't have a Muslim as the head of the Church of England as there's no law against that.

When I was a little girl, and looking for a prince like in the fairy stories, I thought it a bit unfair on me that if I married an English prince he'd lose his throne. It wasn't meant to work like that. But now I want the law to stay as it is. There's no other discrimination against Catholics, and this one causes little bother to Catholics, and has had a lot of advantages to the rest of us. Let it stay.

2 comments:

Sophy said...

Apart from the fact that Catholic can't be PM....
Now that is a law that should go.

eLizH said...

Yes, you're right. It's silly not to be able to be PM if you're Catholic. And wrong.