Monday, March 30, 2009

Elderly

We know a lovely old lady, mother of several daughters and lots of grandchildren. Her husband died some years ago, an intelligent and interesting man who contributed much to the community and was a great support for her in every way. Now widowed and alone, she's so old that she forgets things. She knows people and places but forgets what she was doing and if she ate what she ate. So for some months she stayed with one of her daughters. Now she's home again but worrying and tearful and not eating. And her daughters are just as worried because they can't help her until she agrees to accept help.

Tomorrow I'm seeing an elderly relative who has her own problems, so I've looked up the Lasting Power of Attorney forms from the government web site. They are horrendously long and complicated, twenty plus pages to fill in, sign by the correct people and pay over a hundred pounds. Still, that is cheaper than renewing an attorney every year. But I don't live near enough to my relatives to help. I'll have to depend on the NHS. But news like this doesn't inspire me with confidence.

No comments: