Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Nappies

Disposable nappies are wonderful! When my children were born, disposables made life so easy compared to what my mother had had with terry towelling nappies. They saved heaps of laundry time, detergent and water, though it did seem a bit off to expect bin men to have to take away fouled nappies when poo had used to go down the loo.

This summer I did some nappy shopping for a relative. She required and I purchased:
  • pull-up trainer nappies
  • swimming pool nappies
Neither packet had more than ten nappies in, but the total cost was around £20! Twenty pounds! There are now lots of different kinds of nappies for different age ranges and different activities but they take an awful lot of money from the household budget. I'm sure that's relatively more than they used to cost. Are we paying extra for the differentiation of product?

A pregnant relative was discussing nappies. She tells me, that you can now get reusable nappies and such nappies adapt for the growing child, (like these?) so you can use them from birth to potty training. (I thought those used to be called 'terries'.) The problem is that she expects to go back to work, and how does a nursery cope with reusable nappies? It wouldn't be worth the expense of buying lots of reusable nappies if she then has to buy disposables for the nursery.

It's a conundrum and a quandary that I don't envy pregnant relative.

1 comment:

eLizH said...

Pregnant relative tells me to look at this web site with pretty coloured nappies.
http://www.lizziesrealnappies.co.uk/index.cfm/advice/Products.List/subject/bumgenius_v3_onesize_birth_to_potty_nappies/category_id/55/sortorder/viewed/showall/true
Coloured nappies! In my day you could have any colour you wanted, so long as it was white, though perhaps with some stains, which tended to be butternut or clementine colour.