Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas day

Ten o'clock in the morning. All is calm. Husband and I have prepared the sprouts, he has prepared the goose which is now sitting in the oven waiting to cook. Son, daughter and visitor are still asleep. Son and daughter went to midnight mass, but although visitor & I meant to go, we were both so sleepy that we backed out, I literally at the front door with my coat on and yawning.

Visitor is a Chinese girl, a fellow PhD student who is desperately trying to start writing up her research. She's collected thirty interviews, transcribed them and then translated them but she's running late so working over the Christmas break when the university is closed. We've done her a stocking - or rather SD#3 mugged her dad for money and went and got stuff for her, like bouncing putty, a tiny flower press, a red scarf, some highlighter pens - useful for study work. I found her a head girl badge and added the traditional chocolate coins, apple and satsuma (why can't I find satsumas? I had to use a tangerine!)

SD#3 has spent the night over at her sister and husband's. She went to carol service with them and held the notes on the organ - she rang at 8 o'clock this morning to tell her dad not to get frazzled and that they were coming to see him not eat his food. I think he might be frazzled at such an early phone call!

No comments: