Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Digital chivalry at home

Chivalrous - that's what my husband is, For example, he will walk on the outside of the pavement expecting the lady to walk on the inside. He will also offer to take care of my computer. I can do this myself, being technically sufficiently able and confident that I'll eventually get it right and sorted. But I'm happy to allow him and will encourage him to look after it for me as it delegates my technical chores. In fact, he's promised to put a new mother board in for me.

Does our joint behaviour encourage my learned helpless? Or does it reinforce gender stereotypes? Or is it an exercise in power?

Jennifer Rode researched gender stereotypes in programming and who manages digital security in the home. She came up with the term "digital chivalry". It may be a contentious term but it tells a nice story that means something to many listeners and I can identify with.

No comments: