Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lost in England; found in Italy

Eighteen months ago, I lost an earring, a large hoop amethyst earring. I'd tossed it a yard across the room, with its partner, aiming at the pile in or next to my suitcase when packing to go to India. It disappeared. I couldn't find it anywhere, and it was too big to just disappear, or to go up the vacuum cleaner without noticing it. I couldn't understand how I'd lost it.

I found it in Italy!

I was packing to come home from holiday, flicked one the internal straps over, walked away to pick something up, came back and there was the earring in the empty suitcase.

What is it with earrings? I did this once before when I dropped a small earring in an office, when working abroad in Denmark. Weeks later at home, I found it again, in the washing machine.

May be Mary Norton's borrowers travel between countries, borrowing from me in this country and letting me have my things back in another country.

No comments: