Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Competitions

Funny that competition thing.

On Thursday I found myself in the company of seventy high-flying women, courtesy of an invitation from Mrs Moneypenny to a shooting day. The beginners were grouped together - I'm a beginner - to learn to shoot clay pigeons, and while one of us shot, the other four chatted, or 'networked'. These were lovely women who knew how to talk, who wanted to know about each other, how we knew Mrs Moneypenny and if we'd shot before. It was quite a contrast to my experience on Monday at a London School of Economics workshop on Information Systems and the Financial Crisis, where people just did not mingle and talk. Yet most of these women were in finance or investment banking. We cheered each other when we managed to hit our target, and perhaps we gradually improved.

After coffee we were rearranged into teams to shoot a flush as a competition for the highest scoring team, and to my delight I began to hit the clays, including hitting two at once! Wey-hey! Go me! I think I was just as competitive as all the other women, even though I don't have a high-flying job.

No comments: