Wednesday, March 16, 2011

No hugs - I'm a big girl


Have you ever noticed that when you tell some people your personal bad news, they want to hug you? Why do they hug you? Does it make them feel better, or you? Or does it just make you cry more?

I like cuddles and hugs in the right place, at the right time.

My mother tells me I was a very cuddly baby, but when I was a toddler I started to refuse cuddles and she couldn't understand why, but I remember crying and an adult telling me,
"Big girls don't cry"
If big girls don't cry, then if I'm being cuddled, I must be crying and so I'm not a big girl, but being a big girl is something I want to be, so don't cuddle me because I'm not crying, (even if I am). So I used to struggle out of the cuddle!

I don't react like that now, but I still don't always need the cuddle that someone else needs to give away.

1 comment:

eLizH said...

That's sounds awfully rude when Joy just expressed her heartfelt care. Isn't it silly to discard care when you hurt? And you still hurt.
I am sorry Joy. I apologise.